Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 1

I don't know what else to call today other than Day One. I have millions of emotions running through my bloodstream right now, along with the sugar from the orange juice I just drank. I'm at the McDonald's right next to the Holiday Inn Express off the Owego exit of Interstate 81. It's not as peaceful as the back patio of the Treadway, so I'll head back over there after I finish writing this.

The bike is all set and waiting for me to mount up after the Owego Chapter Rotary lunch meeting. I have spent hours minimizing my load to the necessities, which for some reason includes more "quick snacks" than I thought I would bring. But, I do have spare parts and tools for the bike, a few changes of clothes (which I'll wash periodically, I promise), energy gels, and my trusty laptop. A picture of the bike will follow soon...

I'll normally need to put in about 90 miles a day to get to California in the amount of time I want. Since I'm starting late in the day today, around 2 pm, I'll only be travelling sixty miles. That will put me in Bath, NY. I'm excited to see who will be riding out with me this morning for a "few" of the miles, as I've heard rumors. There is a tremendous amount of support that I feel, and words can't express how thankful I am.

Thank you all for your support again,
David Salai

I'll be posting the donation link at the bottom of every blog, just to make it easier for those who are just tuning in. http://www.rotary.org/en/endpolio/Pages/ridefault.aspx

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I hope you had a successful first day! Let us know how it went!

    K. Salai

    ReplyDelete
  2. (This is Tim)

    I'm proud of you bro! I kept telling everyone that if anyone can do it, you can!

    Give us forewarning (by a day or so if possible) when you'll be crossing state borders since I want to look up biking laws for each state before you get there! OR, if you can, post your itinerary and/or map.

    Love ya bro,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard you did a great job yesterday considering the weather,etc.
    That's great news..............we're spreading the word.

    Al and Carol

    ReplyDelete