Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day Eight- Done (Over 625 miles)







July 28th- I woke up early this morning so that I could ride the 108 remaining miles to Gary, Indiana. I really wanted to make it out to the Hammond (and others) Rotary Picnic. I was making great time and got in contact with Jim McNabney to let him know I was on my way. I took another one of those jittery energy shots and was yet again flying (I agree with the Surgeon General, pregnant women should not take those).

I travelled around seventy miles by 1 pm. Unfortunately, fifteen of those miles were directed by construction workers playing a trick on me. They said, "You're not allowed to ride on this road." I said, "I know. I'm trying to get from highway 20 to 2." They told me, "Well, keep heading north on 31 and you'll see it." I was thankful for their kindness. As I crossed into Michigan (not on my route) I became skeptical. I broke a spoke on the bike from riding on the bumpy road. I pulled off the road to a gas station and repaired the spoke on my own.

I called Jim, who I was supposed to meet in one hour, and told him where I was. He told me I was 25 miles in the wrong direction; over 60 miles from his house! The construction workers had sent me the wrong way. I sat on the side of the road discouraged beyond belief. I told Jim not to worry about getting me and he was hesitant to not get me, but I insisted. With my head down and helmet off, I leaned against my bike for over ten minutes; myself broken.

After I had mustered up the desire to ride again, a police officer "pulled me over and arrested me." He put my stuff in the back seat, my bike in the trunk, and me in the back, too. He then drove me down to the border 15 miles back where I came from and dropped me off at the gas station. I called Jim from the car and we were back in business. Thanks to Officer Peek (see picture) my spirits were once again on high.

I waited for Jim underneath the 80/90 and 31 interchange. After he drove an hour, we met up and continued back about 80 miles toward Cedar Park. We made it about an hour late to the picnic, but it wasn't the worst. I was introduced to some amazing Rotarians and the like. After eating and mingling, Jim introduced me and had me talk about the trip. I was long winded, as usual, but most of the people there didn't seem to mind too much. At least they didn't let on. I answered some of the usual questions again. I was asked by Corene Buchanan if I would stay the night with her family. I was honored to be their guest.

Before leaving, one of the Rotarians named Hans had taken up a collection for donation. Jim drove my bike and I to Jim and Corene Buchanan's house (see picture) where I spent the night becoming fascinated with their stories, paintings, and kindness. I ate again, Corene washed my laundry, and I headed off to sleep while talking to my "roommate" for the night, their grandson Jim. I know, I know. You're probably thinking, "he must have forgotten their names and wrote Jim over and over." Not true. It just so happens that Jim/James is a great name to have.

Daily Lesson: Don't ever give up; just figure out a different way.

7 comments:

  1. I just love following along with your blog! I usually check it first thing in the morning when I get to work (shhh don't tell your mom)! I chose to comment on today's blog because I could not agree more with your daily lesson! No matter what (or who, stupid construction people) gets in your way, if you have a destination or goal in mind there is always a differnt path. There is always more than one route to the end in every day life! Keep up the awesome work! The Sales office is behind you with ever stride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Don't ever give up; just figure out a different way," is now my new mantra. Thx cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't ever give up, just get a ride from the po-po. HA!

    I'm glad you made it to the Rotary meeting. It was looking like it wasn't going to happen for a while there.

    Good daily lesson. :-)

    Love ya,

    Tim

    WORD VERIFICATION: gazin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim - who you "gazin" at 'coz I'm a'telling K!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Officer Peak is my hero. You know, I'm surprised he stopped. I've seen cops pass by several situations where I thought they would stop and help, but somehow didn't feel the need to. Way to go officer Peak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments. They are inspirational beyond belief! Just one small correction since he did save my rear, it's Officer Peek.
    -David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey David!! We just read all of your blogs day to day so we are caught up on your journey. We just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you and think its awesome what you are doing. We will continue to check in day to day to see how you are doing. We love you!

    ReplyDelete