Thursday, July 16, 2009

People ask many questions when I tell them of the journey I'm quite soon to embark on. One of my favorites is, "Are you crazy?" My reply often is balanced by the level of respect the questioning party might desire. But, in a nutshell, "I think crazy is letting other people tell you that what you're attempting to do isn't possible." Anything is possible.

That's where I am today; sitting just over a hundred hours away from the start of a life changing trip that others feel isn't possible. My original intentions of the trip were entirely selfish; get to know myself better. Now, after countless conversations with many different people, I have come to realize that it's not all about me. This trip is much bigger than me. That is why I made way for what it was always meant to be; a fundraiser for Rotary's Polio Eradication Campaign.

Being a Veteran, college student, and political enthusiast, there were many options for me to raise funds for specific programs. When I told people that I was doing the ride for Polio some of them said, "Polio doesn't exist anymore." Those responses solidified my belief that this is the best cause possible for me. People aren't aware of the truth; that Polio is still out there. But, those people did give me hope as well, that one day we'll be able to say just that, "Polio doesn't exist anymore!"

I welcome you to come along with me on this journey of ours across the gorgeous country in which we live. If you're not from here, I hope you see this as an opportunity to read and see what the United States is from one man's fair perspective. Enjoy the ups with me, and I'm more than welcoming for you to share the downs. And please, feel free (all pun intended) to donate to the cause, ask questions about the trip, read the blog, and look at the beautiful pictures I will post up from time to time. If you have any questions you can contact me at sly.salai@gmail.com. Thank you for all your support,

David Salai

To Donate: Follow this link http://www.rotary.org/en/endpolio/Pages/ridefault.aspx and make sure to mention I sent you. Thanks again!

6 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to experiencing the journey with you!! Be careful, you are no good to any of us dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting us go on your journey with you! Best wishes!

    K. Salai

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,
    I wish I could do that ride as well. Instead, I've donated through the Rotary polio link. I look forward to reading about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you and I am sorry for being one of the nay-sayers! Just be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May every sunrise hold more promise, and every sunset hold more peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your great accomplishment!! May your journey be one of self-discovery, fun, lots of pictures, and great weather. Take care.
    Gloria Salai

    ReplyDelete