Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day One- Done




Today wasn’t the easiest ride by any means. I found myself asking the question, “Can I actually do this?” After arguing internally for a few minutes, I determined the answer was yes. Thank God the answer was yes because I’m doing this either way.

It had rained sporadically for a total of 40 minutes during the ride, which wasn’t unwanted. I actually enjoyed the sprinkle as I hit a daily top speed of 35.1 MPH. I might have been able to go faster down that hill, but fear kept me from pedaling into the downhill. The clouds blocked the sun, and in turn the sunset. But, I think I got a good daily sunset picture to toss in anyway.

Keep in mind that I'm not using any digital navigation devices. So, when it rains and the map gets tucked away, I'm at the mercy of my memory and the kindness of signs. Needless to say, I got lost for a few minutes.

I found a resting spot at the corner of a corn farm beneath a billboard (see picture) just past Addison on the 417. As I lay here typing from within the comfort of my 5’X6’ juniors’ tent, my legs are aching slightly, my mind is racing, and the sky is getting darker. It warms me to think of all the support I have in this endeavor. Tomorrow, I’ll allow the IcyHot to warm my legs as I attempt to make it to Salamanca.

I have decided to do one last thing, and that’s my daily lesson. Daily Lesson #1: You cannot ride faster than the clouds can rain.

Feel free to donate at: http://www.rotary.org/en/endpolio/Pages/ridefault.aspx
If there are problems with this page in the future, I also load the same story and pictures at http://davidsalai.livejournal.com/

6 comments:

  1. So proud of you David! I couldn't find the picture, but maybe it still needs to be uploaded? Love the lesson of the day and look forward to many more. God Bless you, David! John 3:16

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job David!! I look forward to keeping up with the blog as my way of living vicariously through you. I can't stop thinking of the Journey song "Don't Stop Believing" as you pedal along - haha! Get some rest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A man, a bike, a tent, a purpose. You have already accomplished in your life more than most of us ever will. Kudos cousin, make things happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro,

    I love the blog and pictures. Keep up with the pictures and I will definitely make a donation. :-D

    TIP AMOUNT is to QUALITY OF SERVICE AT RESTAURANT
    DONATION AMOUNT is to QUANTITY OF PICTURES!!!!

    Love ya bro,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. 35.1 MPH?!?!?! Yikes. I wouldn't have even been brave enough to go THAT fast! Already loving these pictures! Keep em coming!

    K. Salai

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE ARE THINKING OF YOU AND IMAGINE YOU BREEZING ALONG IN A VERY HAPPY STATE OF MIND. LIFE IS GOOD.

    AL AND CAROL

    ReplyDelete