Monday, August 10, 2009

Day Eighteen- Done (Over 1370 miles)





August 7th-

Yet another fun day of ups and downs. I think the Devil had too much dirty laundry, so he kept an extra washboard in Nebraska. But before I get to talking about the trip, let's start with day break.

I got up late at around 9 am because I was enjoying the bed I got to sleep in. It had been about 4 days if I recall correctly, since I had slept in a bed. I showered using up the entire bar of soap they had supplied at the motel. I was sparkling clean. I started packing up all of my stuff and decided to ride a bagless bike over to McDonald's (no, they're not paying me to mention them so many times. McD's is like Jim; they're everywhere).

I bought three sausage biscuits with the plan to eat them while I typed back at the hotel room. I typed and typed for about two hours when I realized the afternoon, and my check out time, were drawing closer. I stopped writing and put everything on the clean functional bike.

I rode down the street and checked the air pressure on my tires. The tube in the front tire was having a reflux of air into the nozzle, which resulted in a tear and flat. I laughed. At that point I realized that there was nothing good that could come of being angry. So, I went inside and filled up my water bottles and returned outside to re-tube the front tire. It took about twenty minutes in the 95° weather. The tubes were a little light, so I filled them up to about 70 PSI (recommended for my tires is 50-75psi).

I went back inside to fill my water bottle again and overheard a guy trying to talk with the attendant about towing his car. The attendant couldn't understand the guys accent, so as the guy walked outside, I asked him what his first language was. He said, "Arabic." I replied, "Jaid jdn, atklm allgat alarabia.- Very good. I speak Arabic." I helped him move his car and caught up a little on my arabic while figuring out what was wrong with his car. He used my phone to call someone to pick him up and I went inside to explain to the attendant what had happened.

As I was inside, I heard a loud bang and saw my bike wobble. I thought someone had thrown a rock at my bike. I walked outside to see that I was not so lucky. Rather, the rear tire of my bike exploded due to the weight, heat, and pressure. Yeah! I just laughed. What else could I do? I went back inside and asked the attendant, "Do you have a phone directory?" He said, "What?" To which I replied, "I mean a phone book." A lady that was standing nearby had responed to that with, "I was about to say, are you feeling a little British today?" I laughed kindly as I looked down at the book and saw it read "Phone Directory." Hmmm... Well, I looked at the bicycle shops in the area and asked Matt (the attendant) which one was closest. He pointed to one of them and I asked how to get there. He told me and off I walked for half an hour with a exploded rear tube.

I got to the amazing shop and told them I wanted two new tires and a new tube. The guy working there talked me into better tires by offering me 20% off (I would've gotten them anyway). I let them change out the parts because I figured I had done it (possibly wrong) enough times. When they had finished, I asked where the nearest post office was. I decided I was going to mail out some of my extra weight. It turns out that the closest post office was on the University of Nebraska Campus.

So, I went to school. I went down into the student center and bookstore to the post office they had downstairs. I started unpacking all of my things to see what I could do without. About twenty minutes and ten pounds later, I was ready to make some tracks. I rode west for hours confident that my new tires wouldn't let me down.

I stopped for the night in a town called Friend. So, if you were wondering on the 7th if you had a friend in Friend, you did. I set up my tent next to an old train car that was sitting patiently in the middle of Friend's park. I went to sleep beneath the stars and water tower.

Daily Lesson: Peace of mind is worth a few bucks; every time.

Donate to help eradicate Polio (and put the Polio team out of a job) at http://www.rotary.org/en/endpolio/Pages/ridefault.aspx

3 comments:

  1. Hey there David! Love the blog today, but it's missing how many miles! That's part of the joy for me.

    Love that you could use your language skills and that your sense of humor is getting even stronger. To laugh in the face of adversity is a sign of maturity!

    We are so very proud of you and cannot wait for the whole book! Or will it be a play? Can you see it now - the hero on the bike - the bike never moves on stage, just the people and backgrounds change? Crazy!

    I love you lots - Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! Keep it up cuz, we are all proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad u got those new tires. I wish I was there in the next days with the excitement of looking for the first mtns. Don't worry they r just long hills.

    ReplyDelete