Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day Twentynine- Done (Over 2105 miles)













August 18th-
I slept in at the campgrounds until after nine. Normally, I sleep more if I feel safe. There was a lot of confusion going on around Salina due to the construction, so I ended up getting on Interstate 70. I figured it would only be for five miles or so. I ended up liking the ride a lot more. It was safer than the roads I was on before, because I had three times as much shoulder to chose from.
I stopped at the next big town I saw, which happened to be Richfield. There was quite a few fast food restaurants and hotels directly off of the Interstate. I went inside a Taco Bell/KFC and ordered one of the degrading meals in a bowl (as if a mini trough is less convenient than a bowl). While I sat there recharging my electronics and myself, a mouse scurried across the floor. The workers there panicked in an attempt to eradicate the building of the tiny mouse. I patiently walked over to the door, opened it, made some squeaking noises, and ushered him out. He waited for me to open the other door in the same fashion. No problem. I soon realized there was no point in saving the scared mouse, as one of the workers went outside and beat it with a broom. I guess they do things differently in Utah.
I left there and stayed riding on I-70 beyond the point where I had an excuse, mostly because I was riding faster. As I was getting closer to I-15 (where I-70 ended), I started experience a high volume of mountains. As a matter of fact, I had risen to two separate, drawn-out summits; 7180 feet and 6600 feet. I was only riding up from the high four thousands, so it wasn't as bad as the Rockies. I made it to I-15 a little beat up from the climb. But, I wasn't going to let that stop me: I had more Freeway to ride on.
I was able to make it all the way to Beaver, UT without being stopped by any police. I was heading for the campgrounds in town when I got a little lost. There was a lady moving some clothes from her car into her house. I asked her if she could point me in the right direction, and she did. Actually, she called the place for me to see what their price was for a tent campsite. It was $24. I thanked her for her help, but told her I wouldn't be staying there because I refuse to pay that much for a piece of land for one night. She offered for me to stay at her pasture which was just a few blocks away. Of course, I accepted.
So, Mary Margaret showed me her land. I set up my tent and headed back to the Subway restaurant I saw about a mile back. When I got in there, not a single person was in the store. Two people outside said that they had been standing there for an hour and saw nobody inside the store. Right away I knew they worked there. I followed their directions though, and went back into the store and yelled for someone behind the counter. After a few seconds, a teenage girl came out to help me.
I typed and ate for about an hour when it became closing time. I had to get out because they were having their monthly meeting. That is why the two pranksters were outside earlier on. I grabbed my things and shuffled over to the McD's to finish writing. As soon as they closed at 11 pm, I packed my things on the bike and rode back to my "campsite."
Daily Lesson: (From picture) No trip starts out at mile 1, that comes after mile 0.

1 comment:

  1. $24.00 for a campsite - yikes! I am so glad that you stayed in the field - free is just the right price!

    Sleeping in a real bed will be quite a treat when you get back home. I know that school begins very soon for you - are you going to have enough time to get everything done before you go back to school? Sorry - just your mama worrying again!

    I love you lots and can't wait for the next story! Love you - Mama

    ReplyDelete