Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day Twenty One- Done (Over 1630 miles)











August 10th-

I got a pleasantly late start due to an extra shower in the morning at the hotel. But, I read the map over and figured out a route that I'm allowed to ride that would only add about 250 miles to the trip. How sarcastically wonderful! I'll keep looking at that map until I can possibly figure something better out.

After writing the blogs, I hit the road wanting to make it to the Colorado border. I rode swiftly. I find it hard however to ride on Highway 34 without stopping to see the "historical markers" (see picture).

After riding for about an hour from McCook, I had a little bicycle mishap. I had to change a spoke on the bike (finally took a picture of me fixing the bike). It was pretty hot outside, but I didn't mind at all. I found comfort in the shade of trees and mosquito wings.

I saddled up again a little saddened by how late in the day it was and how few miles I rode. I was in for the best surprise of the trip though; The most amazing sunset EVER!

I stopped at a gas station soon after the sun had set so that I could refill my water bottles and get back on the road. I felt that I needed to make up some of the miles I lost during the day by riding at night. Some of the bikers (motorcycle riders) at the gas station thought I was crazy for doing the trip and even more so for riding toward the storm that was brewing the whole day. I paid no mind to their doubts. I just rode.

It was the most peaceful part of the ride, yet. I figure there were only about 6 cars that had passed me in the same direction for over two hours. I rode through on town that was closed down for the night and into another called Haigler that was looking just the same.

I saw some soda machines, so I was going to buy a water out of them and keep riding. Just as I was fishing for change, I notice that there was some "beer neon lights" on up the road. I rode over there figuring that maybe they were open and I could get some free water. Sure enough, they were open.

I went inside the bar and met four people; two of them hadn't been to the bar in about a year. Those two are Steve and Tami Workman. After chatting for about thirty minutes, I was invited back to their house to spend the night. I asked if I could get back here in the morning to continue from where I left off and Steve said he would drive me back. So, I crossed the border into Kansas with them to their home.

There was more land than anyone in Eastern New York or Southern California would know what to do with. Just beautiful. They told me about the hail storm that just hit there about a week before. Thankfully, I wasn't riding through West Nebraska at that time.

They gave me a place to sleep upstairs and with the changing time zone within the limits of their house, Steve and I synchronized our clocks. Mine changed as I walked upstairs to the living room. I planned accordingly.

Daily Lesson: In the death of a day, the sunset can be it's lasting impression. (It's never too late leave your mark.)

Please donate to help END POLIO NOW! http://www.rotary.org/en/endpolio/Pages/ridefault.aspx

4 comments:

  1. Hey there David! Another blog - that about made my day! I was so happy to see the picture of the sunset - you had described it to me and your description was perfect...Very beautiful.

    I am glad to see pictures of you and you looking so good. I was a bit worried that you would be this little stick figure - all sunburnt and dry. You look really good!

    I love that you stayed in a home that has two time zones in it. That is a once in a lifetime thing - unless you live there.

    I am hoping that all is well - last I knew you were having tire problems again and someone was kind enough to take you to a bike repair shop in the north.

    There are lots of us, on the edge of our seats, looking forward to hearing about the mountains! Take lots of pictures! Maybe you and the bike will need a check up before you tackle them.

    I love you lots! Thank you for allowing us a glimpse into what this trip is about. I know we are only getting a small slice, but look forward to hearing (or seeing) the rest of the story.

    God bless you - Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you, and keep you, David! Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up David, you are an inspiration to ALL of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve: "I'm 10 minutes late to work!"
    Tami: "No, move over two feet and you have 50 minutes to get ready!"
    Ha-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........ok, it was a dumb joke.

    The land out there....a good Texan would have put a fence up around it and plopped 50 head of cattle on it. ;-)

    Love ya,

    Tim

    PS Word Verification: ACCONIST

    ReplyDelete