Monday, August 10, 2009

Day Twenty- Done (Over 1555 miles)







August 9th-

Well, I'm sure that you can tell by the number of miles that today was a good day for riding. The wind was at my back whispering sweet nothings in my ear all day long. The hills had all laid down for a day long nap. The sun was playing hide and seek behind the clouds. Who could ask for anything more?

I enjoyed the beautiful skies for hours as I rode an average of 15 MPH. I had promised myself that I wouldn't stop in any towns for more than a couple minutes so that I could get as far as possible. I still had enough time to let them know what I was doing though.

All the towns were small. As a matter of fact, one of the towns had a population of 80. Guess what? That didn't stop them from having a police car. I got a kick out of that.

Right as I decided not to look at the odometer/speedometer to encourage a faster pace, I saw a giant tower (see picture). Now, some of you may know that I'm afraid of heights. So, today I decided to test my fears. I hate fears. I rode over to the "tower" on a pebble and rock county road. Little did I know that the tower belonged to TV station 26. It was Sunday, so they were closed.

That never stopped a rebel like me from accomplishing my mini-goals. I was going to conquer my fear of heights. Well, I parked my bike, jumped the barbed wire fence (Don't tell anyone!), ascended the ladder to the roof, and then walked the plank to the base of the tower. I put everything but my camera down and started to climb. Rung after rung, my nerves started to poke me. My muscles grew weak from the lifting for minutes after minutes. I didn't realize how hard it was to climb a tower. I kept climbing until I thought I would be able to get a great panoramic shot with my camera. I must've been 200 rungs up, when I was satisfied. Nervously satisfied. I hope you like the picture (only one of the 8 panorama).

I carefully climbed back down, scraping both elbows just once. I saddled up and headed down the road; accomplished!

As I rode, I saw a sign for a Holiday Inn Express. I had travelled over fifty miles at that point, and the sign said the hotel was 55 miles ahead. Hmmm... "I can do that," I thought to myself. Thanks to all the people that helped me on the 131 mile day, I knew I could. So, I called my mom to see if she could get me a sweet deal at the hotel.

I rode like I stole something. I rode like I was in East Cleveland at night. I rode like I wanted to sleep in a soft bed with my own shower nearby. I rode.

As I got closer, I got in touch with my mom and she came through. She talked with Mary (correct me if I'm wrong, I was out of it), who was working the front desk, and got me the employee's rate for the night. I rode faster.

I got there a little after ten o'clock and checked into my room. I washed my laundry, ate some food, showered, studied my maps over and again, then called it a night. I had to get up early for my free breakfast and to thank Collete (the manager who wasn't going to yell at Mary for helping me out).

Daily Lesson: There are two great motivators; People and absence of people. (Not in this case, but sometimes it takes people leaving us for us to finally do something right.)

3 comments:

  1. So glad that you enjoyed a good night's rest, clean laundry, shower, free breakfast! It was sop much fun working with you to get you that room for a good deal! I know that they were kind to give us a good rate and we appreciate it!

    You know I have certain fears to and have suffered too long before I realized that you really CAN conquer them. Bravo, David, for climbing that tower and working on eliminating (or reducing) your fears. Bad, David, for climbing over the fence, and going up a tower that you are not supposed to climb! Hahahaha...

    Hope the wind is at your back and the path is straight and flat! God bless you - Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY TOLEDO!!! That tower is really tall! I didn't realize how high it was when you told me about it, but now that I have a visual...Oh my goodness! I'm so proud of you. I don't know if I could climb that high up there like you did. I have a fear of falling at any height. Anyways, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?! Maybe one of these days I'll try it...


    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
    -Neale Donald Walsch

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The wind was at my back whispering sweet nothings in my ear all day long. The hills had all laid down for a day long nap. The sun was playing hide and seek behind the clouds. Who could ask for anything more?"

    .....

    Tim

    PS Word Verification: ARGEAMENT - n. what a Texan says when people disagree. (The farmers had an argeament over whose stud that was.)

    ReplyDelete