Monday, August 3, 2009

Day Thirteen- Done (Over 1045 miles)







August 2nd-

I woke up in the basement of a strange family's house. Seriously though, I slept great. Joe called down to me and asked if I wanted eggs and toast. I didn't turn him down. I went upstairs and ate and re-packed all of my cargo on the bike as I hurried to be ready by the time they had to leave for a birthday party. We took some quick pictures and Joe sent me in the right direction after saying goodbye to him and Tommy.

I rode for almost two hours when I saw my first McD's just inside the borders of Iowa City. I sat in there for a few hours writing and posting the update of the trip. Every hour that ticked by reminded me of at least ten miles I could have ridden. But, I must ride and write.

After I had finished up a sufficient amount of writing, I continued the saga on past the Amana colonies. Quite beautiful although most everything was closed. I do want to return there in the future though. One of the shops was open and can be found on this page http://www.amanacolonies.com/artscrafts.htm; it was AJ's Metal Art Gallery.

Nothing amazing occurred throughout my ride today, which is a good thing. I'd rather be bored than surprised with something bad.

I did come across some signs that read, "Road Closed Except for Local Traffic." I considered myself local traffic and proceeded through. I found out why the road was closed soon after (see picture). I refused to let it stop me as I ventured across the roadless road. It was quite empowering to disobey the construction signs. Almost as if it was payback.

I rode in the dark for awhile further until I finally found a spot on the side of the busy route that looked tucked away enough to keep me safe. I set up my tent, locked my bike and ate a lonely dinner.
Daily Lesson: This one I quote Buddha, "If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both." (in response to riding and writing as much as possible.)


And a gift from my brother,

2 comments:

  1. Hey there David! Love the new posts and hearing about some of the people you are meeting! The last post talked about the man with no seat on his bike - what the heck!? Please explain the reason he does that. Does he never sit down? Oh my goodness. It's nice to know that I have not seen it all!

    We miss you so much and are so grateful to be able to be "with" you on your travels.

    You Rock! Love you much - Mama and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I love how you paid back the construction workers!

    AJ's looks awesome.

    I love the maps that Tim has been making for you. I think you should tell him to put some clothes on you though. You look naked.

    I'm catching up...slowly but surely. I'm sure you'll be done with your journey by the time I get to the end though :-(. You're almost done! We're so proud of you and very inspired.

    K.Salai

    ReplyDelete