Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day Twentyseven- Done (Over 1910 miles)
















August 16th-
Well, I woke up to my alarm and decided that it was still too early. I was going to reset it, but just fell back asleep instead. I woke up around 9 am (thirty minutes before breakfast was over) to a loud bang next door. The family staying in the room next to me was apparently in a hurry to get out of there. Who knows why? But, I hustled downstairs to grab some hot and cold breakfast and brought it back up to the room. I spent the next two hours writing with a shower thrown into the mix as the pictures downloaded to the webpage.
I left the hotel around 11:30 am ready to ride. I realized that the road I was heading on was being used for a bike race a week later. They put up a nice sign that read, "Bike Race August 22th." How odd! I could've sworn that it was the 22nd. Oh well, Utah. After riding along Highway 189 for about fifteen miles, I found out that there is a trail that parallels the road. I rode over to that and continued my trip a lot safer. I passed by campgrounds, parks, and even a waterfall. It was quite a trail.
I got off the trail in Provo to see how beautiful the town is. There were dozens of hang gliders floating down to earth from the mountains that protected Provo. I passed through Provo and arrived in a town called Springville. It seemed like a small town, but they have a rotary club. As a matter of fact, there was a banner hanging in the center of town that pointed me in the direction of their Annual Picnic/Car Show.
I rode eagerly toward the site where they were celebrating. I didn't know that I was heading approximately eight miles up the side of a mountain. There is a nice bike/walk path located on Canyon Road, but it didn't get rid of the incline. I made it to the picnic just as they were finishing up. However, I was welcomed just the same. I explained what I was doing and word spread quickly as people walked over to me to shake my hand. I answered the normal questions again, and met some very nice people. One of the gentlemen I met, who is a rotarian, is Jerry Bately. He invited me to stay the night at his house in town. Although I had only riden about thirtyfive miles that day, he talked me into it. Jerry told me that he and his wife (I'm ashamed to say I've forgotten her name even after asking Jerry a second time for it) both left early in the morning for work, so I could get an early start. Plus, dinner was going to be homemade. I couldn't pass that up.
We got back to their house and I examined my bike to see if it was alright. It was. I got to meet nine year old moose, who is a six pound dog. Moose was focused on my every move as I ate the chicken leftover from the picnic. It was much the same with the burger, corn, and vegetables that Jerry's wife made for all of us. But, "Moose doesn't eat people's food."
Everyone headed off to bed so I made some phone calls, unconciously watched a western called "McCabe and ??," and got ready to head to bed early. I had to be up and ready to go by 6 am. A little earlier than I'm used to, so for that at least, Jerry and his wife have my respect.
Daily Lesson: Don't be afraid to change your plans, especially if it doesn't effect anyone but you.

2 comments:

  1. David - Serendipity is in your blood! I am glad that you are so flexible - it seems like this trip has been more enjoyable due to your being willing to change direction (sometimes literally and sometimes figuratively) for a while.

    Thank you for the wonderful pictures - both the real ones and the word pictures you are painting for us.

    You have my deepest love and respect. Keep on bikin'!

    Love - Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. David- what an inspiration you are!! I am following your blog(so is my husband, Ted) and love reading your story. What an amazing journey you are on.
    We are cheering you on.....
    -Wendy Edwards(Jean Edwards' daughter, long-time friend of Carol and Al).

    ReplyDelete