Friday, August 7, 2009

Day Fifteen- Done (Over 1195 miles)







August 4th-

Today was a trail day. Well, for the most part it was. I rode along the trail that I shouldn't have been sleeping on, and passed many other cyclists. It was refreshing. I even slowed down for a few miles so I could chat with a group of older men who were riding to stay in shape. I rode until the trail ended right near a subway. How convenient! I had a footlong cold cut combo and it was a refreshing change of pace to the energy food I keep eating.


I saddled up after the meal and continued on my tour of the devil's washboard (see picture) into a town called Adair. When I went into the gas station to use the bathroom and fill my waters back up, I overheard a guy talking about a fair. His name is Larry. He told me all about the county fair which was just twelve miles down the road. The main attraction that night, country singer Danielle Peck, was due on stage in just over an hour. So, I rode as fast as I could to get there in time to see her.


I locked my bike up near where the police were working and walked around to take pictures. I noticed the sunset right as I was taking pictures of Danielle. So I stopped taking pictures of her and focused me sights elsewhere.


Just as I was taking a few more shots of Danielle (trying to get one good one), I ran into Larry. After chatting for a few, he offered to buy me dinner. I said I couldn't. He said he insisted. I gave in real quickly. He kept telling me to put more and more food on my plate.


We sat down and ate our food, as I learned about his profession. He is a farmer. He used to have swine (without the flu), but that got too unprofitable, so he sticks to corn. As we were talking, a girl came over and took our picture. Larry told me she was from the paper and told her what I was doing. She didn't seem interested at all, but who could blame her? Danielle Peck was there! She did come back and ask for my name again and where I was from.


It was getting late and I wanted to set up my tent on the campgrounds, but there were no spots. Larry talked to a couple people and found me a spot at the end of the lot where no one would bug me. We talked a little more before he headed out and I got ready for my shower. It was the only shower in the bathroom, so I rushed to avoid any angry campers.

Daily Lesson: Cows get fat because they barely move; not much different from people.

2 comments:

  1. fially figured out u must have been in Atlantic but still confused with the dates on blog, last post showed up today Aug 7th and was dated Aug. 4th.Hope I can figure out where u with next post.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you had a chance to go to a county fair - they are the best! Lots of good greasy food, smiling folks and interesting exhibits.

    I am grateful that you are safe and love to hear all about your travels - "the good, the bad and the ugly" too!

    God bless you David! Mama

    ReplyDelete