Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day Twentyfour- Done (Over 1775 miles)











August 13th-

I did wake up in the middle of the night a couple times. One time, I was so thirsty that I had to finish the last drops from my water bottle. Another time, it was so cold outside that I had to use the trusty thermal blanket. I'm not sure if I used it right, but I'm still alive, so it's all for the better.

I packed up my things in the bitter cold of 6 am in the hills (Rockies). I had no water, so breakfast wasn't a good idea. I didn't want to dry out my body with digestion. I figured I had about ten miles until I reached a place I could get water, so I rode.

The ride was still uphill, but was beautiful. I kept wondering when I was going to get some water though.

After it seemed like too long, I went over to a creek and tested the water. There was no strange smell or taste, so I took one sip to get me the rest of the way. Right after the summit of the "hill," I had to stop at a point in the road where there was construction. The construction guy said, "I brought an extra bottle of water today. You can have it." Who could ask for anything more?

They let me ride down behind the other cars going about 30 MPH into part of a valley. There is a visitors' center there which I stopped at to fill my waters. I realized I had a little glimpse of phone service, so I made some calls.

Following the phone calls, I met Kristen. She works at the Moose State Park State Recreation Visitors Center (I'm not 100% on the name still). She gave me some tips for my travel and I asked her to follow along on the trip.

I rode mostly North into a small town by the name of Walden. There wasn't much to this town, but it was a nice stop before the many empty miles I was about to travel. I got an extra water bottle and some food to eat for dinner in the middle of nowhere.

A few miles down the road I met Kurt and Krista (see picture). They took some time off to cycle around Colorado. It seemed to me that he was carrying all their stuff, but I'm sure they worked out some deal. We told eachother of what was to be expected in the other directions. Kurt gave me a pair of gloves saying, "it gets cold in the mornings, especially if you spend the night in Rabbit Ears Pass." It was that sentence which made me decide to ride faster and farther to avoid having to sleep in Rabbit Ears Pass.

Rabbit Ears Pass was a beautiful climb of up and up and up. But, like I said before, going up a mountian means you get the downhill. What a downhill it was. I flew down the hill with a top speed of 35.5 and an average of 33 MPH. The descent lasted around ten minutes as it was about 5 miles long. I would've loved to have taken some pictures, but the ride was too exhilerating to stop.

I rode into Steamboat springs which is where I asked a guy by the name of Travis a million questions about the area. He works at the Gas Station/Ski shop there. After hearing my story, he bought the food for me that I was about to buy. I gave him the blog information, so hopefully he reads my thank you!

I ate some hot, fatty food at the McD's in town and typed until they kicked me out at 11 pm. I rode over to the camp sites that Travis and Kurt had told me about and was surprised to see the $29.54 charge for camping there. I think I stayed at a hotel for cheaper than that back in Lincoln, NE. Well, I rode over to a campsite where the people were still awake and asked if I could camp in the corner of their site for the $18 cash that I had. Alex (see picture) said I could camp there for free.

The two of us stayed up until about 4 am talking. He kept offering me a beer everytime he grabbed one, but I stayed true to my goal: no alcohol on the trip. We enjoyed the campfire until we let it die out and went to bed.

Daily Lesson: Memories come in two speeds; fast and too fast.

5 comments:

  1. I want to send out a big thank you to the many people that are being kind and generous to David as he travels. I feel that there have been many angels along the way, watching over and keeping David safe, fed, encouraged, and even entertained. You are a blessing to him and to all the people reading this blog! May God bless you.

    David - I love you so much and my heart gets all flippy when I realize that it is almost over for you. What will it feel like? What will a day be like without sitting on a bike!? I know you will be glad, but I wonder - will there be a post-trip let down? Guess I'll have to wait, right?

    Miss you lots - think of you many times a day and can't wait to hear more!!!!

    Love - Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kristen from the Moose visitor Center high in the Rockies here. David, it was such a pleasure to meet you the other day. I have been taking time daily to read your blog and follow your adventures. The thing that gets me every time are the lovely comments from your friends and family. Isn't family a blessing beyond measure?! I so enjoyed our talk the other afternoon and easily could've spent more time swapping stories, but I knew you needed to get on the road. I wish you well on the remainder of your journey. I will continue to follow along on here, eagerly anticipating your stories and wise (awfully wise for 26!!)daily lessons.

    Be well, ride safely, and stay warm (and dry)!
    You are in my prayers as well,
    Kristen B.
    State Forest State Park
    Gould, CO

    ReplyDelete
  3. David-Your Mom contacted me yesterday as I'm the Rotary District Governor and I live in Las Vegas. You will enter our District at Mesquite, NV., which is almost the Utah line. You will leave our District approximately at Huntington Beach. I understand you are staying the night in N. Las Vegas on Friday. My question is, how can our Rotary Clubs be of assistance to you? Do you need to spend some time in Las Vegas? We can have Rotarians in Barstow, the Victorville area, and the inland valleys available to assist you. If it's donations you want primarily, please let me know that. We are a very giving group but, I'm sure the Rotarians would get more out of it if they could assist you. Assisting could be a shower and place to stay, supplies, fixing your bike, cash, or sight seeing. Please let me know as soon as you can so that I can get started on arranging this. Good luck and thank you.
    YIRS
    Tom Novotny
    District Governor
    RI District 5300
    tom_arohed@yahoo.com
    (702)274-0660

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David!
    It was great to meet you! Thanks for adding our photo to the blog. Yes, Kurt does carry all of our stuff, and he still beats me up the hills.

    We're glad you made it all the way to Steamboat the day we met you. Yes, the KOA's are expensive these days! We're glad you found a camping buddy.

    We had a great trip and got back home Saturday night.

    Keep up your determination and sense of adventure! You're doing great things!
    - Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro,

    When my wife gets to this one phrase: "I met Kristen. She works at the Moose State Park"....she's going to go psycho on this comment section. (For everyone else, my wife's name is Kristen and I nicknamed her Moose! HAHA!)

    @Tom - I don't know if David contacted you yet, but I left him a voicemail with your info.

    I sit down at a restaurant and drink 5 glasses of water....but I have no clue what kind of thirst you experience when riding ALL DAY LONG!

    Keep up the good work!

    Love ya,

    Tim

    PS Word Verification: PULAYET

    ReplyDelete